Rosie in Japan

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Closing Ceremony

Pretty farcical stuff today, we had the closing ceremony for the end of term. Tension ran high as we bowed to the kocho-sensei and waited for them to drop like flies. The kids, I mean. Teachers stalked down rows checking on students leaning over slightly, hungry for action.
I'm disappointed to report there was nothing dramatic today. Unlike in winter when the gym was so cold we had 3 kids go down with a huge thud. I'm surprised they don't split their heads open. About 7 kids "felt faint" so had to sit out. It's like a tradition here.

Did something really exciting this morning, rang my hairdresser in NZ and made the appointment! It's really happening. Was so bizarre, you speak and they take down your infomation, you don't get a million "hai!"s or "wakarimashita!"s. I made the appointment for 1pm so I can go out for lunch beforehand at one of my old haunts.

Had Sarah, Chris and Bren over last night to hang out, for the last time probably :( Chris leaves for Canada in 2 days, off for her month of fun in the sun, have fun camping! Bren leaves on Saturday and we are doing a final yakiniku for her on Thursday night. It's tough to think she won't be back to hang out, but what great memories, and I know she's going on to good things.

Not long til our newbies arrive, how exciting, there will be 6 of us in Hagi next year plus Gerards Abu-cho newbie.

I have officially been teaching in Japan for one year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home