Rosie in Japan

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Hot In The City

Japan in June - rather bloody hot. It's usually around 28-30 degrees and humid. Technically this is the rainy season but we haven't had much rain at all. Good for me, bad for the poor farmers who want the rice to grow. The rice paddies are freshly planted in perfect little rows. The vivid green of the rice plants is one of the most beautiful things about summer and the nicest green I have ever seen.
I was out at Oi today, a 10 minute train ride north. Got called "Gaijin-san" (foreigner/alien) by a gaggle of shogakko (elementary) kids as I walked to the station after lunch. They were friendly enough I suppose.
My JTE (Japanese Teacher of English) did a brilliant job of designing activites which would require the students to write a lot but interact with me only at a minimum level. The one activity she allowed me to use in class she cut short. Not a bad day, just uninspiring.
Got paid yesterday, have done my calculations (fall NZ dollar, fall!) and now on strict saving regime so as to have maximum amount of money to blow in NZ on anything/everything. Despite buying a car, furnishing a house, endless yakiniku, trip to Korea, shopping blowouts in Hiroshima etc. I have still managed to save a modest sum this year with which to reinvest into outstanding balances - aka Pay Mum & Dad Back! Looking forward to stomping around the house declaring complete financial independance.
Now that The O.C season 2 and The Apprentice 3 has finished I needed some new TV to download - enter Desperate Housewives. I have downloaded the first series and it's interesting so far. Even Dan watches it and loves it. Very refreshing to see women taking their kids' ritalin to get thru the day. My favourite housewife is of course the frazzled one with the four kids. Dan's favourite is of course Eva Longoria. Nuff said! I really don't know what I'm going to do when Pimp My Ride and Joey runs out.
I have to say my luck has really turned lately - I have made some Japanese friends my own age finally. Now I just have to get myself a Japanese hobby. I really want to do shodo (calligraphy) so I will have to find out who teaches it at my base school and bully them into giving me some lessons.
Having a barbie here on Friday night - can't wait to chill out. Now that I have discovered that I like peanut butter, I think satay chicken kebabs are on the menu. Come on Friday!

1 Comments:

  • You've only just discovered you like Peanut Butter!? Strange!

    I have been ranting about the NZ dollar to Mum and Dad for months, and what does it do...just keeps climbing! Damn it!!!

    And I'd love to come up for your barbie, but going to a school fest Saturday morning, have fun and I'll see you Saturday!

    By Blogger Selene, at 7:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home