Rosie in Japan

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Islands In The Stream

Well, due to going out to Mishima island on Mon/Tues, my week seems to have flown by. The trip out on the boat was hellish, it was very windy and at one point I was sure the boat was going to tip. The captain even culled the engines for a few minutes because it was too rough. Needless to say I arrived feeling sparkling and fresh. Not! I wouldn't know, but I swear it's a feeling as bad as childbirth must be. Thank God the trip back was OK, although just sitting inside the ship before it has even left the dock makes me nauseous, the smell of it, just by sheer association.
I can't complain though, I wouldn't not go to Mishima if I could choose. I love walking around and going in to the little shops and speaking to the people in Japanese. It's nice to touch base with them as I usually see them only once a month. I was so proud of myself for having basic conversations. One lady told me my Japanese was "pera-pera". I thought it meant adequate enough. I looked it up in the dictionary and got a shock when I saw it meant fluent. Of course she is just being nice, it is far from that, but nonetheless a confidence boost which is what I badly needed with my spoken Japanese. I'm studying more!
There is a very small but famous herd of cows on Mishima island. Their meat is horrendously expensive. A small steak of Mishima beef will set you back $50 at the local hotel. Oh New Zealand, how I love thee.
I had my first day back teaching at my base school today. We started with a stern school assembly in the gymnasium after candy wrappers were found in the rubbish bins. I had 4 classes, they all went really well, I am feeling so positive about the school year. Ironically, now that my "mother hen" Sakuma-sensei has left the school, my relationships with all the other teachers have improved. They are talking to me a lot more. We are all stepping up to the plate.
I will have to go blanket shopping this weekend to prepare for Mum's stay. She is so nervous she has stopped emailing me.
Last night I had my first hanami (hana-flower, mi-look) , which is basically going out with your mates to sit and picnic under the cherry blossoms. It was really beautiful and something I'll definately do next year, hopefully we'll be able to crank up a barbeque and do it properly. We ate bentos (boxed meals) and I succeeded in cracking Sarah across the nose quite painfully with John's frisbee as I attempted to assualt Christine. Luckily I have forgiving friends!

1 Comments:

  • speaking of cows, and beef Rosie..! Check out this article: http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3247692a11,00.html - now thats some expensive Kiwi beef!!

    By Blogger Selene, at 7:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home