Rosie in Japan

Monday, March 28, 2005

Survivor: Hagi

My Mum is gonna be here to visit me in just over 3 weeks. I can't wait, not just because I love her and because she's an amazing Mum, but also because we are precariously low on supplies of Marmite/Vegemite. We used to have preferences but now we'll smear anything on our toast as long as it's origin is yeasty. Mum has a health food shop in my hometown, and I have horrible visions of her being detained for importing illegal quantities of Omega-3 fish oils for Dan.
I realised how desperate the situation was last night when Ellen called me from Kyoto. She had found a foreign food shop that sold Cream of Tartar, one of those elusive baking ingredients not available at Japanese supermarkets. So I got her to bring a packet back for me, setting me back a whopping Y420. I converted that back into NZ dollars and just about had a heart attack when I realised I had just paid nearly $7 for bloody Cream of Tartar.
Axl Rose was right all along - Welcome to the Jungle.

1 Comments:

  • oh I think I can hook you up with some vegemite, though I think it's aussie... talk soon

    By Blogger Selene, at 9:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home