Rosie in Japan

Friday, January 21, 2005

2005 Happy New Year (for want of a better title)

Ok. So its official. I suck at keeping my blog up to date. I am gonna try harder, thats my New Years resolution.
So first, our new baby has now been named Demi Lynne Taureka. She's doing really well, putting on lots of weight, or as Mum says "a little fatty". The more rolls the better when it comes to babies, more for me to love when I go home.
Our big news this month is that we walked into the Board of Education with our signed re-contracting forms. We have committed to another 18 months here in Japan, scary but a nice feeling when you think of 18 more paydays! I am trying really hard to be a bit more assertive at work, I have asked to start up an English club and have put up an bulletin board in English. I hope that I keep loving my life here, I would love to do 3 years here. We will see.
So - Christmas - we had 10 people here, was an absolute blast. I made roast chicken pieces, veges, stuffing, and turned out pretty good I thought. I made a trifle for dessert and someone bought an enormous tiramisu. The thing I noticed about spending Xmas with friends rather than family is that you have to be nice to each other, you don't end up having petty stupid fights about nothing. It was so text-book we even played charades in the afternoon.
Then Dec 27 we did the big mish up to Tokyo on the shinkansen (bullet train), we saw Mt Fuji, and arrived in time to pick up Dan's little brother (14) from the airport. Dan was really, really happy to see him. When we got back to Hagi there was a huge snowfall, neither Dan or Tim had touched snow so they had a great time making a snowman and having snowfights. We took Tim through to Hiroshima and he got to see the museum and peace park, overall I think he had a really fantastic time experiencing Japan. He went back to NZ on January 8th vowing to come and visit us again.
So here we are in the bowels of winter, as I like to call it, its pretty cold these days. We generally stay at home and crank up the heat. I am hosting a fondue party tonight, nothing like cheese and chocolate to cheer you up. My goal before the winter is out is to go skiing one weekend, I missed going during the NZ winter because I came out to Japan, so I'm really looking forward to hitting the slopes. Hopefully Dan will be brave and give it a try! How could anyone not love skiing.
Something else to look forward to - a group of us are going late Feb to Korea (south!) for my friend Alex's birthday. She loves yakiniku (barbequed meat), so Korea was the simple choice. We are simply going to live on meat and bebimba (yummy rice and vege dish) for 4 days. After that it won't be long til my Mum comes in April. Can't wait for that. We had Ellen and her parents (Australia) stay with us this week while they checked out Hagi, it was cool to hang out with other gaijin (foreigners) and know that our place passes the parent test. Rock on April.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home