Rosie in Japan

Friday, October 29, 2004

Power Shopping in Hiroshima

It happened. I finally made it to Hiroshima. And did I go straight to the peace museum and memorial park? Did I make a beeline to photograph the few buildings remaining after the bomb blast? Sadly, no. I got on the first tram I could find and headed for the department stores. Of course I really want to go back to Hiroshima and do a special historical tour one weekend. Unfortunately on Sunday though, instincts kicked in and all the principles that my mother has drummed into me from an early age took over - spend money, fast, and only stop in the face of seriously good coffee. It reminded me a lot of Melbourne with its wide tree-lined streets and trams. The only good thing about the bombing was the chance to re-build the city with modern architecture and layout. It looked fantastic.
I made it to a book shop with a big English section, my first trashy magazines in 3 months was a religious expereience. I bought a huge Japanese-English dictionary and some books. Then at foreign foods I bought NZ cheese rolled oats, and Tim Tams for my supervisor. I spent way too much money, and then made it worse at The Body Shop. Dan and I were lucky we got to go with our friends Ellen, Kirk, Lauren and Kat who had been before and were able to direct us to the best spots. The night before we had all been to our fav restaurant in Kuga called Sanzoku, it was all lit up with lanterns and of course serving its specialty, yakitori (bbq chicken on a stick). Before eating, we went to a really nice onsen that had a beautiful outdoor pool and a huge bubbling spa. After we got dressed we fed 100 yen coins into the massage chairs. No partying and clubbing for us, just give us the massage chairs.
That night as we headed home on the expressway to Hagi, we got lost by taking the wrong expressway line! Instead of heading us into Yamaguchi City it took us about 15kms out to Ogori, we stopped to ask for directions (which I really didn't understand) and made it back to where we needed to be. I realised that I am now comfortable with people speaking only Japanese around me, I can't understand a lot of it but it doesn't scare me like it used to. I remembered back to the days when fresh off the plane I would have to study for the afternoon before I could attempt to develop film or get the drycleaning done. Now its not really a second thought. I love it.
Also, my big news this month is that I got a keitai (cell phone). It is pink and amazing. It was really cheap (Dan and I got two phones on the family plan for 0 yen) and the plans are about $70 a month including calls. Now we have to stay in Japan another year because our keitai contracts are for two years! The features are great, not only does it have a digital camera on it, but its own email address so I can instantly email thru photos. I can also tune in TV and radio. You never know, I may get bored on the way to the train station. I would never have afforded that in NZ. Loving the technology here.
And finally, only another week til our newest family member is born. Excitment is mounting like never before (well, except when Jodi was born..) Speaking of whom, she has become a right bossy boots lately. I was talking to Madam Jodi on the phone yesterday when Mum asked to speak to me. There was a long silence and then Jodi regally informed everyone "I'm still talking". If the new baby is a girl I pity it. It will be like me the bossy older sister all over again!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home