Rosie in Japan

Monday, July 25, 2005

Lubu Lubu

So, night out in Fukuoka, everyone's heading to the Capsule hotel. It's a cultural experience of course.

I was looking for a different kind of cultural experience - the Love Hotel. I had heard stories of themed rooms - Tarzan & Jane, Cleopatra & Mark Anthony, Doctor & Nurse. I dreamed of a heart-shaped jacuzzi. I wanted trashy, I wanted cheap, I wanted to pay by the hour.

Reality is always so different isn't it.

At 1am when my body could take no more Malibu Pineapple I rounded up Dan and we got a taxi to Canal City. There is a row of Love Hotels across the river with names such as "Hotel With" and "Blue River". Dan had drunk a little more than I realised and I dragged him from love hotel to love hotel looking for a room. Each room number has a photo of the room, its price (euphemistically named "Rest" 2 hours etc) and a little button you can press to take the room and prepay for it. Most were taken and I was not about to spend 20,000 on a room. So I left an almost incomprehensible Dan in the foyer of a love hotel while I ran down the street looking for a cheap room. I found the last one available for 7,000. I pressed the button and a screen opened, the lady gave me an instruction sheet in English. I raced back to find Dan alert and playing with a lighter (no idea where it came from?) and dragged him back to the room.

We were locked in - if you want to get out you have to phone reception first so that they can check if you've drunk any alcohol before running off.

The bed was huge and comfy and there was free "protection" but otherwise it was just a hotel room. The bathroom was big and it looked very modern and clean. I would have paid at least double for the same room in a normal hotel. It was 7,500 yen for the night. Some rooms had two beds and were up to 22,000 a night - whoa. We didn't have to check out til 12pm the next day.

If I ever have to stay the night in a city again, I'll definately use a love hotel (how much love I'll be getting with a paralytic pyromaniac boyfriend I don't know). Try it!

3 Comments:

  • Thanks for telling everyone what happened.

    Dan

    By Blogger Dan, at 2:20 pm  

  • Don't be ashamed Dan. Who would expect less. I knew Rosies plans for the night anyway. Big comfy bed was number 1 and, I am sorry to say, you were number 2.

    By Blogger Turning Japanese, at 2:28 pm  

  • hahahaha Dan you have no chance here!

    By Blogger Rosie, at 3:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home