Rosie in Japan

Thursday, September 02, 2004

"Watashi wa Nyujirando kara kimashita..."

Today I had my first lesson in a Japanese classroom. It was an awesome feeling. Back in early 2002 I had a passionate desire to be a secondary teacher. Going to Teachers College just about killed that. I still think I paid $2,500 to meet some cool people and find a husband. Dan is like my Russian bride. So finally after a year of crappy sections and then a full-on year of nannying (which I miss!) , I finally made it back into the classroom. As a nanny I spent all day with kids, and I was beginning to get withdrawls. (Macka, if you're reading this, I miss you!)
The kids in Japan are friendly out of the classroom, but in the classroom they pretty much stare blankly. They are shy and will act as if they are going to sleep, which is acceptable here. I hate it but what can you do. So I am gonna have to do some super-duper fun stuff that they will not be able to resist.
Tonight we did our first Adult Conversation class at the Hagi community centre. It was pretty good, we did a self introduction, showed a kiwi fruit, a map, pounamu, a stuffed kiwi soft toy, and described your typical Sunday roast with the fanau. The students are either really old people who know pretty good broken English or young kids who know nothing. It's gonna be a fun way to meet some young people in Hagi hopefully. I am glad we are finally working.
Our supervisor has informed us that he got our inkan and so we'll get our car next week. Yay!!!!!
Meredith has only got 8 weeks to go til she gives birth to our beautiful second baby. I think it will be a boy and I hope it is. However I also thought Jodi was a boy, and when I saw she was a girl I got the shock of my life. I wouldn't change puku for the world. So I hope our new baby is healthy, thats all. I really miss my sister at times like this :( I have promised Mum I will travel the world as much as possible without coming home too early, its so expensive to go back. Other than that, life in Hagi is ambrosial :)

1 Comments:

  • Hi there, Just thought I would tell you that I like your blob so far. It is fun to get comments and not many people give them, so you don't know who has actually read the blog! Sarah

    By Blogger Sarah, at 2:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home