Rosie in Japan

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Spew-Shoku

After reading a couple of posts on Big Daikon this week about the quality (or lack ) of chu-shoku (school lunch) I am compelled to write after today's experience.

I found myself staring at my tray, investigating what "Yogaruto Sarada" on the menu could possibly have meant. It was chunks of mandarin, banana and pineapple in yoghurt. "Oishi-so" I hear you exclaim. Then picture some sliced cucumber and boiled cabbage stirred through. Was it a misguided attempt at the summer classic Ambrosia Salad? One pictures the school Cook browsing through different recipes and taking a little poetic licence here and there. The result is just plain abunai (dangerous).

What was worse, I actually ate some of it.

4 Comments:

  • Boiled cabbage with yogurt? Makes me feel better about having to bring my own lunch.

    By Blogger J-girl, at 6:08 pm  

  • If I could get off my proverbial to actually make my own lunch, I would. I am stuck in lunch neverland!

    By Blogger Rosie, at 7:48 am  

  • Kyushoku... What an adventure. Some days I will eat almost anything. Some days it is so bad I wouldn't eat it no matter how hungry I am. Luckily, most days are kind of in between. I even enjoy it.

    By Blogger Turning Japanese, at 8:25 am  

  • I hate it. I can' wait to be home and know lunch doesn't have eyes, is not natto related or the dodgy cuts of meat.
    Have a merry christmas and happy new year

    By Blogger ., at 11:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home